Gasworks Circus Showdown
Gasworks Circus Showdown is Gasworks Arts Park’s professional development program for circus and physical theatre artists and one of the only opportunities of its kind in Victoria. We provide a platform for circus performers to develop innovative acts for presentation, culminating in an on-stage showcase in front of a live audience, with feedback from industry experts. Entries are shortlisted, and finalists perform in one of two Heats, and if selected, go on to perform at the Finale. Awards with a focus on career development will be selected and distributed at the Finale.
What kind of work are we looking for?
Entries are invited from individuals or groups of circus performers of all kinds. Acts or excerpts of acts must be between 10 to 15 minutes in duration. Preference will be given to work that has not had a ticketed season in Melbourne. You must complete all sections of the entry form and be available for the rehearsal and performance dates including the Finale show. Please check the dates in the application form carefully.
What value will you receive for participating?
• opportunities to showcase your artistry and skills
• tangible performance outcomes in a professional venue and supportive environment
• rehearsal space and time with professional technical staff (including a rigger and a lighting designer)
• opportunities to hone your craft, make industry connections, learn new business skills, and receive valuable support to develop your work
• professional photos/videos of your performance and some marketing support
How does the selection process work?
The selection panel will assess your entry based on:
• quality of your/your group’s skills
• quality of the act proposed
• capacity to deliver the act
• development stage of act
• career stage of you/your group and benefit of your participation.
Up to 8 shortlisted acts will be selected to perform (up to 4 acts at each of the two Heats on Wed 25 & Thu 26 May). Up to 3 acts overall will be selected by the judges to go on to perform at the Finale on Sat 28 May - as we have 1 finalist from last year's postponed Finale who have had a place reserved for them. Based on performances and discussions with the shortlisted acts, the panel will deliberate and Awards will be announced.