t: (03) 8606 4200
New Work Producing Consortium
Information for Artists
- Small Gems is looking for artists who have an original production (either an idea, or developed work. Please note, preference will be given to works that have not yet had a performance season in Victoria).
- Small Gems will give preference to companies/artists with a history of producing high quality works.
What’s in it for artists?
- Small Gems is a great way to develop and create your production in a supportive environment, with rehearsal space and development time.
- Small Gems will allow you to stage new works in a low-risk way.
- Small Gems will give you access to cosmopolitan audiences.
- Performance fees are a part of the program. Artists will be properly paid, given rehearsal space and support (as negotiated).
- Small Gems gives you the opportunity to create or further develop a show with guaranteed performance dates.
- Small Gems gives you freedom from government funding timelines.
- Small Gems will utilise shared marketing initiatives with artists and a number of venues to get the best exposure for your show.
What’s the cost?
- There is no application fee to enter Small Gems.
- If accepted, the Small Gems producing consortium will discuss your budget needs with you.
- It is important to the Small Gems producing consortium that performers, crew and creatives are properly paid. Please keep this in mind when developing your application, considering the budget for presenters is between $1,000 and $3,000 per performance.
Information for Presenters
- Gasworks Arts Park
- Hobsons Bay City Council
- Burrinja Cultural Centre
- Kingston Arts Centre
- The Melba Spiegeltent
What kind of venues can be a part of Small Gems?
- Small to medium sized venues (approximately 200 seats) with capacity for professional theatre lighting, sound and projection;
- Venues with access to marketing resources; and
- Venues whose audience have high levels of attendance and familiarity with arts experiences generally.
What’s in it for the venues?
- Small Gems is a way of generating interesting content that is suitable for our specific audiences.
- Small Gems ensures the production will fit within our theatres, spaces and specifications.
- Small Gems ensures a fixed price on touring shows, and less reliance on timelines of funding rounds, and gives certainty around show development times.
- Small Gems gives venues the opportunity to generate media interest and profile, as works will be in development rather than ready made and already on the touring circuit.
- Small Gems allows venues to fulfil their mission of new work development and support through low-risk producing partnerships.
- Small Gems guarantees exclusive premieres of new Australian work.
- Venues would be acknowledged as a production partner, and royalties for future performances would be negotiated individually.
What’s the cost?
- Small Gems aims to identify shows that can work with an artist fee in the range of $1,000 to $3,000 per performance.
- There is no requirement to guarantee your participation in a tour. A small tour could comprise three performances across three venues, a larger tour could comprise 10 performances across five venues.
Get involved We invite other venues with similar interests and venue capacities to express interest in joining the initiative. We are looking for up to two urban venues to join the initiative, who have experienced and contemporary arts audiences. This is to consider developments for 2016. Further partners may be sought for 2017. Click here to apply online.